Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Last Waltz (1978)

I love superlatives, so here it is, phenomenal.

Trifecta of perfection.  I love Scorsese.  The music from The Band was great.  And the camera work was awe inspiring.

Martin Scorsese seems to be the rare filmmaker that is in love with the art of filmmaking and all its permutations.  He has done an exceptional job in films, documentaries, and short films.  He's a silent film short of being a god, although I am sure his college years brought forth one.

The music from The Band, which, full disclosure, I had never heard before, was shattering.  A bit country, a bit rock-and-roll.  A bit 60s folk and a bit blues.  Every bit of it as good as the last, and since I recognize few of the guests by face, it moved me in ways, that I assume teenagers and other people listening to this for the first time in the 60s and 70s would have felt.  I am now enamored with a band called The Band, which hasn't existed in nearly 40 years.  Cue sarcastic exaltation.

Finally, the camerawork was really the most shocking aspect of the film.  The contrast between darks and highlights.  The way dust particles danced around the beams illuminating the band, and even the short focal length of the compositions, make this concert film, feel more like a beautiful narrative film.  The 16mm film it was probably shot on lends it a richness which the highly saturated modern concert films, almost always shot digitally can't even attempt to approach.

Watch at all expenses, you will not be dissatisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment