Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Batman: Year One (2011)

Artwork for the DVD/BluRay release
My first ever film theater viewing, back in a dusty theater in the center of Mendoza, Argentina, was Batman (1989) with one effeminate Michael Keaton.

Ever since, I have consumed Batman everything, and although I don't consume it with the veracity of perhaps other adamant fans, I have consumed it all, including the soundtrack to the oft-vilified Batman and Robin (1997).

This film, in the cannon of Bat-films, is phenomenal, somewhere between The Batman Animated Series () with its many permutations (i.e. Mask of the Phantasm [1992]) and Batman: Gotham Knight (2008) with its episodic beauty.

Although I don't remember the comic book enough to compare it frame by frame to the movie, what bits I do recall, seem to match pretty well, and in there similarities, are surpassed.

The movie, is dark and moody; and its animation is equally so, but crisp and clean at the same time.  The voice acting is pretty spot on, and so is the music.

The only complaints come in the budget department, it feels like the film lacks in ambition.  A more demanding soundtrack and animation department, could have made this movie earth shattering, the way the 1992 animated series was.

Otherwise it is very enjoyable to watch.  Even my 3 1/2 year old daughter snuggled next to me and cheered when Catwoman put on her cowl.

Buy it, and enjoy the subtleties of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment