Thursday, May 24, 2012

I Hate Valentine's Day (2009)

Artwork for DVD release of film
I am told that this film, loosely, had an ending, but honestly, I could care less.   Halfway through I was happily distracted by my Facebook page, and honestly it did not bother me.

The film started strong, with plenty of quirky characters very well portrayed by established character actors and some surprising newcomers.  But early on, you start caring less and less about what is to become of these flat stereotypical characters.

And for a while you don't mind.

But nothing great ever happens, no twists, no phenomenal acting, no extraordinary camera work, some easily avoidable technical mistakes, and sadly more.

I wish I had more to say regarding this film, but it's that mediocre type of bad, that isn't even notable for trying really hard to be really bad.  It tries to be a cute and adorable love story, but ends up being vapid and shallow and horribly insufferable.

Save your time and mind and rent or buy Crazy Stupid Love (2011) at least that has good acting, and a phenomenal third act with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.  Or if you're in the mood for a good Nia Vardalos film, stick with My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002), I seem to remember many people enjoying that film.

1 comment:

  1. Will skip it then, don't like romantic comedies anyway, but definitely don't want to be stuck with a bad one. Dodged a bullet there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete