Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

Artwork for Theatrical Release
I love this film, so often an animated film is a schtick away from a haiku, but here the story comes first and the great animation follows, and that makes a huge difference.

The textures on the costume designs were extraordinary, and a pleasure to watch, the depth of the art direction was awe-inspiring, and the voice acting was nothing like voice acting.

I realize that people watch Wes Anderson films for Jason Schwartzman (at least it seems like this is all he successfully does) Bill Murray (ditto, although less so) and all in all in funky quirkiness.

It is to this last point that I continues to hearken back to whenever I think about this film since seeing it. 

It seems that Oscar buzziness is a pen name for stuffiness, but this Wes Anderson film was enjoyable through and through, and not just to me.  My daughter loved it (3.5 years old) and my nephew loved it (almost 10 years old).

This animated film will sit solidly on my shelf next to Coraline (2009) and The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993).

No comments:

Post a Comment