Wednesday, May 30, 2012

127 Hours (2010)

Artwork for the Theatrical Release
I can't do skin penetration.  No needles.  No knives.  No sharp pencils.  Even when I know it's fake, even when I've been shown the retractable knife.

The next part should come as no surprise, and even having known it, I couldn't stomach what was to come.

That should not retract from the rest of the film.  It is spectacular.  The camerawork, the frame composition, the color timing on the film (an oft-overlooked art within the art) was all spectacular. 

Above everything else, this film will go on my list of some of the best editing I have seen.  And not where you would expect it.  Like acting, it is easy to claim phenomenal editing when it is loud and in your face, but in a film that revolves around a singularity, it is phenomenal in just that, singular events.  It holds long shots where it is necessary, and becomes jagged and hard to stomach where it needs to.

The acting was OK, and I am ready to get my head chopped off for that.  The character succeeds.  The situations excel, but I don't necessarily believe that it lends anything from James Franco's performance, although having said that, he did nothing wrong, but I feel like a different actor could have added more subtlety and made me feel more for the character and less for the projection of a self interest in the situation.

Either way, buy it in Blu-ray and save it for prosperity.

1 comment: