Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Dark Knight (2008)

Artwork for Theatrical Release
Yes, Heath Ledger is great and would have been phenomenal in the third as well (if that was the original plan).

Yes, it's a shame Cillian Murphy was notably absconded and underwellmingly pathetic.

And yes, maybe Katie Holmes should have returned for the sequel, if for nothing else than so we could see her chipmunk faced Rachel get blown up by a better actor.

But those are fanboy arguments, and have no place at the 'list.'

Unless I bring them up.

Which I did.

My apologies.  Not Really.

The Dark Knight is a far better film than Batman Begins (2005), even if more flawed.  It has a better and more complicated structure, a more humanistic, even if migraine inducing, moral and characters, both heels and heroes, that are as multi-layered as they are scary and enjoyable.

The Dark Knight's Gotham, although only a year separated from the first part, is brighter, cleaner, but still very much creepy, and often more dangerous in its enticing complacency.

The lyrical motifs in this film are spot on and subtly funny oftentimes, whereas they were non existent in its prequel.  This film is full of foreshadowing and inside jokes, which make continuous viewings very enjoyable and not repetitive.

Artwork for Theatrical Release
Heath Ledger managed to imbued his Joker with so many apropos nuances that Gary Oldman's Lt. Gordon seemed flat in comparison, while making Maggie Gyllenhaal's disinterested Rachel seem to be a part of Spiderman 3, strewn across for the ride.

A few complaints, as if I wouldn't notice (and believe me when I say that I actually hate people that do this, but this one was way too obvious).  Why does Lau use Bruce Wayne's private jet, can't he afford his own, says I tongue in cheek.  Although not a plot hole (I believe it's more a case or careless art-direction), it was significant enough for me to note it, so be warned Nolan et al, if I see Bane traipsing around in a Laughter 18-wheeler with a purple S emblazoned, I will walk out.

Although I will give them credit for not making the latter as vomit inducing as Maggie Gyllenhaal's oft ridiculed assertion "You make your own luck."

God I'm glad she went "Kaput!"

Again, buy this film twice on Blu-ray, posterity and what not.

No comments:

Post a Comment